Monday, February 19, 2007

Nomenclatorial slopiness (2) - a positive note

Csösz et al.s paper recently published paper "Taxonomic revision of the Palaearctic Tetramorium chefketi species complex (Hymenoptera: Formicidae)" in Zootaxa 1405 is a nice example, where all the names can easily be found and if not present, added to a Name Server, in this case the Hymenoptera Name Server.

Norm Johnson has created a set of online data entry tools which allows entering new citations and data from any remote place to anybody who has an interest to collaborate.

In the case of Csösz' paper, I am opening up the paper, just copy and paste the respective elements and it shows up in most cases immediately up and I can view the changes through antbase.org. The HNS has even the feature allowing to subsribe to an alert to become aware of such changes. This way, the system is kept up to date as much as possible, of course depending also, whether we are aware of the papers published around the world and in places one would not expect to find new descriptions.

The advantage of Zootaxa paper over Myremcological News is, that once a pdf is available (Myrmecological News provides open access, Zootaxa only on a pay per artcile base), one can easily copy and paste any text, which is not possible generally from Myrmecological News, with the exceptions, when they provide publications with taxonomic content to be included in antbase.org.

3 comments:

Alex said...

Speaking of "nomenclatural sloppiness", I'd appreciate your comments on how I've done with the Linepithema revision, once you get around to it. I did not write the synonymies with any computer/database standard in mind, but for future papers I certainly will if I know how to adjust the format.

-Alex

Donat Agosti said...

Hi Alex

I just added all the names from your Linepithema revision, and as far as I can say, there were a couple of variants in spelling, you missed to mention the new stat of L. gallardoi, and there was one citation not in a new paragraph - few things one only finds when looking at a document throug the glasses of automatic data extraction. Thus almost everything is done very nicely.

Donat

Alex said...

Oh crum. I should have caught the L. gallardoi stat. change prior to publication. Well, that's good to know. Makes me think that part of the pre-publication review for taxonomic papers ought to include an automatic vetting process to catch homonyms, status changes, etc.